Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The final Days...

Greetings and Salutations!

Well I am 100% back in the United States.
Let me just say WOW.

So I was unable to update the final last day and half before heading back on the mighty jetplane back home.

Wednesday, the final full day before my trip was ending… I planned with 3 other people (my housemate Andryon, Mallory and also Tassi from the office) to go BUNGEE JUMPING!
Yes, I am serious!
We planned it with the Last Resort people and gathered early Wednesday Morning (530am to be exact) in Thamel to meet up with the rest of the people who were signed up for that day.

It was a 3.5 hour bus ride to what seemed like the most majestically place on earth with supreme views of the Himalayas’ through-out the entire ride and finally arriving at a suspension bridge over a madly rushing river called the Bhote Kosi. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhote_Koshi) We were 7.5 miles from the Tibetan Border and roughly 520 Feet up in the air. We were divided into two groups depending on our weight class. The guy asked me if I wanted a lucky number or an unlucky number… OF COURSE I took the Lucky number: 69! (funny Nepalese people!) Thankfully Mallory was in the same group as I, and I wasn’t completely with strangers… so we went out on that suspension bridge and waited… and waited.. and waited… the sun was scorching down on us, but we had a great time watching one by one… people jump off the bridge. By the time it became our time… there was nothing to it. I was second to last. The guy walks to me with the harness and tells me that I won’t be needing it today. Then points to my wings. He starts to walk away but then turns back. I’m strapped into my harness, and sitting down on the chair about to get my feet strapped into the bungee cord.
The camera guy comes to me and asks me what my last words are… I wave like an idiot to the camera, and for my friends at home – I do the Robot Dance quickly. (The camera guy stupidly stops recording for the next comment : you have wings, you should take off your shirt and fly) Now it’s time for me to go to the most outward part of the bridge and do my thing. In the video you can see me leaning back , and inching like a penguin- its pretty funny!
I don’t even remember the “bungee master” saying “3-2-1-Bungee” – I raised my arms, looked straight ahead and leaned forward. I spun around quite a bit- I felt the air rushing against my face and my stomach drop as if I was on a roller coaster – yet the most incredible roller coaster ever! For what seemed like 10 minutes, I bungeed up and down and hung upside down unsure of what to do with my arms- but with such an incredible rush that I was speechless and all I was able to do was to smile like a lunatic.

Finally, I was able to grab the bamboo stick to bring me from dangling upside down. I was lowered down onto a platform and got unbuckled from the harness and the bungee cord.
Mallory was the last one of our group to jump and I waited for her at the bottom – cheering her on!

We hiked up from the shore of the Bhote Kosi all the way back up to the very top. About 80% of the trek up the hill- we were questioning whether we were on the right track or not. We were running into waterfalls (which were great to immerse ourselves into, as it was so hot out) and extremely steep steps that were apparently placed by man, and whomever placed these steps… these people are gutsy!
Number one on Mallory and mines minds… BAR! We would celebrate with a drink- and that we did. We got to watch our videos and purchase them right then and there.
Later on, after the 2nd group went, we eventually went home.
Adryon and I stayed in the guesthouse as it was my last night and we were going to go to the office for breakfast in the morning before my departure.

Traveling back home was insane. Completely Insane. My flight from Kathmandu to India was delayed by 2 hours. Although, I did see one of the fellows I met while bungee jumping at the airport and we chatted a bit! He was only flying to Bangkok (I think) – so his flight was not as horrendous as mine was going to be. Eventually the plane arrives in India, I make friends with two American girls (I wish I would have met them during my stay in Nepal) and the three of us enjoy some girl time in the transit area of the India Airport (all of which is completely different from the last transit I have there, as the part that was currently open was only 2 days old) One of the girls flight comes up and that leaves Becca and I together- whom we share the same flight. There is a rambunctious group of gals and guys from London in the Transit area and they entertain us by doing some of the oddest things (reminds me a lot of what my friends and I would do) for hours on end.
After 8 Hours, and about 10 security check points, we are finally on the plane back to the United States.

I arrive in Chicago at 5am… wiped out- with possibly 1 hour of sleep (on a 15 hour flight) – just ecstatic to be back home in the United States.
I text a few people that I’m home and then wander around the terminal like a zombie in preparation for my flight!

I sleep for 2 hours on the flight from Chicago to San Diego. I’m so excited to be home, I cannot contain myself!
I arrive safely and turn on my phone, I’m walking down to baggage since I had to check a bag in when I got to Chicago… and I get my first “Welcome Home” text and that is immediately followed up with my phone ringing from Yuba telling me he’s leaving the office and is picking me up. PERFECT TIMING!

I’m home safe.
I had bubble bath waiting for me along with gifts on my bed. I felt so spoiled.

I will be finishing up the photos hopefully sometime this week. There’s a lot to go through and some editing. So don’t cha worry- they will be a’comin!

Thank you to everyone (if I haven’t said it enough) for supporting me in my trip to Nepal to help save the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment