Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I haven't....

seen this much rain in forever!
Its rare that it will rain in San Diego... And today- i was semi-prepared just not at the right time.

The morning started off early, as I woke up before 6am... we had breakfast with the family and then Cici and I were off to the orphanage. We walked and its in the middle of what it known as Kathmandu rush hour... which is complete craziness - cars and motorcyclists EVERYWHERE, honking their horns to let you know they are there... people walking all over the place, dogs and sometimes cows... its quite a trip. The walk to the orphanage takes roughly 25 minutes - it would be faster but with everything going on, you have to basically take your time.
We walk up to the orphanage, and sit in the administrators office. Then I am taken to the back where all the children are. (well the ones whom aren't at school) So basically its the "infants" and the "toddlers" There are 3 infants, which aren't really infants and then there are 12 toddlers. They all are completely and utterly adorable with the most beautiful smiles and not a care in the world.
We sit with the toddlers and help them with their English. They are spelling out the words on the sheet and repeating it, then saying the name. It was quite impressive. If they got stuck - you help them say it and hope that the next time they remember.
Cici and I then got our hands henna'd. Granted it wasn't the best quality of henna so its an orangey color instead of the desired brown.

Then around 2pm - it was time to take some of the children on a walk to get their immunization shot... So I walked with them. It was about 20 kids who all needed the shots.
We would hold a childs hand and walk the way. Little did I know that the rain would hit and it would hit hard! After a short while, we needed to get back and we braved the downpour... I grabbed one of the toddlers hands (Seina) and we ran back to the orphanage with the others. By the time that we got back, I had soaked through my capris and top - there was no need to then shower as I planned!
So now here I am, today was tiring. I came home to a wonderful email that has my head spinning (in a very good way) that I just wanna stay awake so that way when its California time... I can talk to a few peeps! Maybe a nap will be fine. At least its almost 5am - your time! :0)

Cheers.. I might take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment