Saturday, July 24, 2010

"You're so California!"

Today was a free day. We get the weekends off from the orphanage and today we got to explore Bhaktapur. It was with the same guide that Kim and I had on our first day and this time it was Cici, Mallory, Kim and Myself. (Cici & Mallory arrived on the same day, as did Kim & I)
I met Mallory for the first time yesterday for Cici's birthday. She's 22 and from Indiana, she goes to Purdue and is very friendly and has a great personality.
This morning, we're getting ready to leave, I put on my sunglasses (b/c I'm practically blind if theres any light in the sky w/o them) and her immediate response: "You're so California... with your aviators!" It was classic. This girl was one liners like that all day.
We played the typical tourists.. taking photos of EVERYTHING we came across... and the "oooo's" and the "awww's"! It was fun. We did some shopping and then also ate at a cafe in the Durbar Square there. The cafe had everything, every type of food. So I had a burger. Now it's not the traditional cow meat burger as the Nepali people see cows as sacred... but it was a buffalo burger - it was definitely different tasty... not as juicy as a normal western burger - but definitely good!

It started raining a bit- and figured that Potterys Square wouldn't be as fun in the rain...(Mallory's quote of the day... "so do they have pots in Pottery Square or what?!?") so we headed back home. Which is good, b/c with it being so hot - we're tired and just wanting to nap.
Our free time is mainly spent relaxing around with the family (but the majority of their conversations are in Nepalese and not knowing the language makes it hard to follow. (Obviously) Thankfully - My girlfriend Danielle suggested a good book for me and I have been reading that- thinking about my next international trip! (Part of the book is based in Italy)

I'm still homesick, but talking this morning (Friday Evening, your time) to Yuba helped make the start of my day more easy...I didn't think I would get homesick - but Nepal is very overwhelming and being in the grunt of it is tiring.
I've averaged about 80 photos per day- so get ready to feast your eyes on some amazing-ness (the nitty gritty) once I officially go through and edit them when I get home!

1 comment:

  1. Holy Crap that's gonna be a lot of pictures. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete