Sunday, July 25, 2010

Just One Word:

MONKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, do I need to say more!? Anyone who knows me - knows that I'm a monkey fanatic!!! Like - its an obsession! Well, today I saw soooooo many monkeys that if my trip ended now... I'd be 100% satisfied with how many monkeys have been seen.





Today actually started out with a Nepali language lesson. Now I'm not the best at maintaining the memory of a language.. which kinda sucks BUT I have a cheat sheet- so hopefully I can remember to say something at least. (Let's hope)

After my lesson, I waited for Kim and we went to Fire & Ice (the restaurant) and had pizza. (Yes, I went back a 2nd time) We gossiped, then after lunch we took a taxi to Swayambhunath, which is also known as "the monkey temple". The word is that there was a man whom was taking residence there, and he wasn't 'possed to have long hair, but he grew it out, and he got head lice.. and then the head lice became monkeys. Therefore the monkeys who live atop there are Holy Monkeys!
There are two routes the Swayambhunath. There is the stairs and then there is the short-cut. We chose the stairs.



So the stairs start out simple, then they get crazy steep! By the time Kim and I reach the top, we are both out of breath and sweating (it doesn't help that its humid out) Now when we get to the very top, the view is simply amazing and breathtaking! You don't realize how high it is until you look down the stairs. haha
We walk around, take photos, and then we buy candles for prayers and we place them with all the other prayers.
Being the non-religious person I am, I made a wish! :)



As Kim and I are getting ready to leave (leaving the shorter way, not the stairs) we get stopped by a Nepali family. They asked to take a photo with me. So they take about 20 photos (It was like paparazzi) An entire family of about 10, different people in each photo.. I was unsure what was going on! Then we start walking and there is a couple following us. Kim and I are taking photos and they are taking photos of us, almost stalking us. So much that they follow us to getting in our cab...still taking photos! It was surreal. Apparently, we were celebrities!
I even snuck a photo of them as we were driving off!

Kim and I take our taxi back to Thamel, and we decide to shop a little more. We meander through the streets of Thamel, quite unsure of where we are going - but luckily I have a good sense of direction and get us back to the office eventually. Halfway through our shopping trip of the day, it starts raining. It's monsoon season here in Nepal, so it wasn't anything out of the norm.

Eventually, I get home -- and begin playing with the babies here. It's only 6pm - and I'm ready for bed!!!!

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment